"Quantum Tractate Delirium" - Spoilers
Wavemaker
2005-04-16 09:24:53 UTC
Spoilers for "Quantum Tractate Delirium"

e?

Some random thoughts...

It looks like the Evil Trance theory is correct. First, she needles
Rhade into falling off the wagon, then she talks Rommie into trying to
kill Dylan, and finally she drops that little "Maybe there's no way out"
demoralizing line at the end (I love the look Beka gave her when she
said that, btw). There may have been other clues throughout the ep as
well. This isn't the Trance we know and love.

Seefra peasants, what an unruly bunch. Why bother?

The Rommie mask! Very freaky with the all of those metallic tendrils
connected to her face. One of the cooler things I've seen on Andromeda
in awhile.

Rommie seemed awfully sly when Dylan first talked to her. You could see
what was coming.

I liked the system check with Rommie and Doyle speaking in unison.

Cute the way Rommie imitated Doyle's swagger.

Naughty Rommie is fun to watch! She had a Borgesque look. "Gravity
increase by a factor of 10... except for me." Ha!

The scenes with her and Doyle were ok, but I think they may have been
going for something more, a kind of chemistry you have between two
rivals or something. I'm not sure. Whatever it was, I don't think they
quite hit their mark. This may have been because of the interruptions
with the Seefra evacuation. I think that hurt the ep overall and gave it
more of a plodding feel.

Doyle looked cute with her hair up. Her character has been more than
just filler in Rommie's absence, and I took Harper's speech at the end
as a way of acknowledging not only her worth to the other characters on
the show but also for us watching.

There was a lot to enjoy here. I will probably watch it again. I did
feel that there could have been more momentum built up over the ep. The
pacing felt a little off, and I can't help but blame the Seefra
evacuation subplot for that. Anyway, Rommie's back!! And that's what
counts.
Beth Smarr
2005-04-16 11:19:02 UTC
Post by Wavemaker
Spoilers for "Quantum Tractate Delirium"
e?
Some random thoughts...
It looks like the Evil Trance theory is correct. First, she needles
Rhade into falling off the wagon, then she talks Rommie into trying to
kill Dylan, and finally she drops that little "Maybe there's no way out"
demoralizing line at the end (I love the look Beka gave her when she
said that, btw). There may have been other clues throughout the ep as
well. This isn't the Trance we know and love.
So ... did she destroy good Trance or overwhelm her?
Post by Wavemaker
Seefra peasants, what an unruly bunch. Why bother?
Ben Stone said it back in a early season of Law & Order when he made
references to not being able to choose the victims (the commandment not
saying thou shalt not kill only good people) - even jerks like the guy
cutting line have to be helped whether we like them or not.
Post by Wavemaker
The Rommie mask! Very freaky with the all of those metallic tendrils
connected to her face. One of the cooler things I've seen on Andromeda
in awhile.
I agree, although I am so glad it was masked <g> by her hair when she
returned as the good Rommie.
Post by Wavemaker
Rommie seemed awfully sly when Dylan first talked to her. You could see
what was coming.
She did warn him that she wasn't ready for reactivation/reintegration.
Post by Wavemaker
I liked the system check with Rommie and Doyle speaking in unison.
Totally cool!
Post by Wavemaker
Cute the way Rommie imitated Doyle's swagger.
And her comments about Doyle's wardrobe. I flashed back to the season 2
(I think) conversation between Beka and Rommie where Beka comments
that she knows what is in Rommie's closet <g>
Post by Wavemaker
Naughty Rommie is fun to watch! She had a Borgesque look. "Gravity
increase by a factor of 10... except for me." Ha!
Definitely terrific - and another reference to using this same tactic in
an earlier season.
Post by Wavemaker
The scenes with her and Doyle were ok, but I think they may have been
going for something more, a kind of chemistry you have between two
rivals or something. I'm not sure. Whatever it was, I don't think they
quite hit their mark. This may have been because of the interruptions
with the Seefra evacuation. I think that hurt the ep overall and gave it
more of a plodding feel.
I agree, but it did give Dylan an impelling reason for insisting on
Rommie's ressurrection, something that has been on the back burner all
season.
Post by Wavemaker
Doyle looked cute with her hair up. Her character has been more than
just filler in Rommie's absence, and I took Harper's speech at the end
as a way of acknowledging not only her worth to the other characters on
the show but also for us watching.
But I am going to miss the old Doyle. I am glad she now has a life and
future of her own - no longer haunted by Rommie's core memories - but
there are so few episodes left to resolve so many issues AND discover
the new Doyle.
Post by Wavemaker
There was a lot to enjoy here. I will probably watch it again. I did
feel that there could have been more momentum built up over the ep. The
pacing felt a little off, and I can't help but blame the Seefra
evacuation subplot for that. Anyway, Rommie's back!! And that's what
counts.
And the biggest issue - how the heck are they gonna get outa Dodge
(Seefra system) if slipstream is a really twisted Mobius strip giving a
good ride but going nowhere?
--
Beth

Smarr's Beanery http://mysite.verizon.net/beth.smarr/
Beth's Wallpapers http://mysite.verizon.net/beth.smarr/bwalls.html
Wavemaker
2005-04-16 16:29:38 UTC
Post by Beth Smarr
Post by Wavemaker
Spoilers for "Quantum Tractate Delirium"
e?
Some random thoughts...
It looks like the Evil Trance theory is correct. First, she needles
Rhade into falling off the wagon, then she talks Rommie into trying
to kill Dylan, and finally she drops that little "Maybe there's no
way out" demoralizing line at the end (I love the look Beka gave her
when she said that, btw). There may have been other clues throughout
the ep as well. This isn't the Trance we know and love.
So ... did she destroy good Trance or overwhelm her?
I'm guessing Good Trance is trapped inside that cylinder we saw in
"Saving Light From A Black Sun."
Post by Beth Smarr
Post by Wavemaker
Seefra peasants, what an unruly bunch. Why bother?
Ben Stone said it back in a early season of Law & Order when he made
references to not being able to choose the victims (the commandment
not saying thou shalt not kill only good people) - even jerks like the
guy cutting line have to be helped whether we like them or not.
Dylan and co. should be commended for their commitment to that
principle.

<snip>
Post by Beth Smarr
Post by Wavemaker
The scenes with her and Doyle were ok, but I think they may have been
going for something more, a kind of chemistry you have between two
rivals or something. I'm not sure. Whatever it was, I don't think
they quite hit their mark. This may have been because of the
interruptions with the Seefra evacuation. I think that hurt the ep
overall and gave it more of a plodding feel.
I agree, but it did give Dylan an impelling reason for insisting on
Rommie's ressurrection, something that has been on the back burner all
season.
I thought it was interesting that they needed Andromeda's avatar to
override built-in safe guards. If they had run into that limitation
earlier in the season, they may not have revived Rommie as it may not
have been worth the risk. But with the Seefra evacuation, they had a
compelling reason to chance it. So you're right it did serve a purpose
in pushing things forward.
Post by Beth Smarr
Post by Wavemaker
Doyle looked cute with her hair up. Her character has been more than
just filler in Rommie's absence, and I took Harper's speech at the
end as a way of acknowledging not only her worth to the other
characters on the show but also for us watching.
But I am going to miss the old Doyle. I am glad she now has a life
and future of her own - no longer haunted by Rommie's core memories -
but there are so few episodes left to resolve so many issues AND
discover the new Doyle.
I will miss the old Doyle, too, now that you mention it!

Exploring Doyle's future would be a great plotline for a spin-off.
*fingers crossed*
Post by Beth Smarr
Post by Wavemaker
There was a lot to enjoy here. I will probably watch it again. I did
feel that there could have been more momentum built up over the ep.
The pacing felt a little off, and I can't help but blame the Seefra
evacuation subplot for that. Anyway, Rommie's back!! And that's what
counts.
And the biggest issue - how the heck are they gonna get outa Dodge
(Seefra system) if slipstream is a really twisted Mobius strip giving
a good ride but going nowhere?
Maybe Evil Trance had something to do with that. Perhaps she was
manipulating the slipstream? Once they defeat her, they may find
themselves able to leave.
Dwight Gruber
2005-04-16 17:59:40 UTC
Post by Wavemaker
Post by Wavemaker
Spoilers for "Quantum Tractate Delirium"
e?
Some random thoughts...
I thought it was interesting that they needed Andromeda's avatar to
override built-in safe guards. If they had run into that limitation
earlier in the season, they may not have revived Rommie as it may not
have been worth the risk. But with the Seefra evacuation, they had a
compelling reason to chance it. So you're right it did serve a purpose
in pushing things forward.
A total cheat. Its as though TcurrentPTB said, OK, we need to make up some
reason to get Rommie back because we are paying the actor for
opening-credits billing whether she works or not. Its the worst kind of
make-it-up-as-you-go-along story developoment.

That being said, Rommie is the most interesting character on the program
(since the mysterious purple girl with the tail vanished, anyway...), she is
far and away the best actor on the show, and she had some good moments in
this ep. I guess I'm glad to see her back.

And I agree with a previous poster, I'm going to miss the Rommie-fied Doyle.

--DwightG
KiaN
2005-04-17 15:01:04 UTC
Post by Dwight Gruber
Post by Wavemaker
Spoilers for "Quantum Tractate Delirium"
e?
And I agree with a previous poster, I'm going to miss the Rommie-fied Doyle.
Well I'm really not going to miss anything about her except her ass ^^
--
KiaN
http://www.kianouch.com (Site de photos urbaines et de paysages)
***@kianouch.com
malcolm reynolds
2005-04-21 06:30:20 UTC
And her rack...

But Rommies new look along with her delectable new attributes, will go a
long way to making up for the loss of doyles.
Daddy like!
The Saltex Brujo
2005-04-23 21:20:11 UTC
On the subject of their ability to go to slipstream. Back in a previous
ep from seasons past they encountered Vedran technology that allowed
whole solar systems to be "cut off from slipstream travel" and isolated
in their own pocket dimensions. In fact, they said Tarn Vedra itself WAS
cut off from slipstream travel! Isn't Seefra supposed to be Tarn Vedra?
It seems travel to and from Seefra must utilize the Route of Ages. It
also seems that slipstream travel in Seefra is one way. Stuff gets in,
but does not get out.
More gaffes to add to. The big one being, of course, their not utilizing
the portal system to evac Seefra-9.
NobodyMan
2005-04-23 23:00:34 UTC
Post by The Saltex Brujo
On the subject of their ability to go to slipstream. Back in a previous
ep from seasons past they encountered Vedran technology that allowed
whole solar systems to be "cut off from slipstream travel" and isolated
in their own pocket dimensions. In fact, they said Tarn Vedra itself WAS
cut off from slipstream travel! Isn't Seefra supposed to be Tarn Vedra?
It seems travel to and from Seefra must utilize the Route of Ages. It
also seems that slipstream travel in Seefra is one way. Stuff gets in,
but does not get out.
More gaffes to add to. The big one being, of course, their not utilizing
the portal system to evac Seefra-9.
As I mentioned before, it is probably not feasible to use the portals
to evacuate an entire planet. What about those folks who live on the
other side of the planet from the portals? How exactly do you get
them to the portals in a timely manner? You probably would use a
ship! And since you have them in a ship anyway.........

E. Brent Price
2005-04-16 17:55:22 UTC
Post by Wavemaker
Post by Wavemaker
Post by Beth Smarr
And the biggest issue - how the heck are they gonna get outa Dodge
(Seefra system) if slipstream is a really twisted Mobius strip giving
a good ride but going nowhere?
Maybe Evil Trance had something to do with that. Perhaps she was
manipulating the slipstream? Once they defeat her, they may find
themselves able to leave.
They have to go back to the center of that sun to release Good Trance and
imprison Bad Trance. That's an episode right there, and we are running out
of episodes.

E. Brent Price
Ron Hubbard
2005-04-17 03:20:32 UTC
Post by Wavemaker
Post by Wavemaker
Spoilers for "Quantum Tractate Delirium"
e?
Some random thoughts...
(snip)
Maybe Evil Trance had something to do with that. Perhaps she was
manipulating the slipstream? Once they defeat her, they may find
themselves able to leave.
And where does that leave our one remaining Trance who's
Virgil Vox?

Ron
Jim Heckman
2005-04-17 06:25:50 UTC
[...]
Post by Wavemaker
Post by Beth Smarr
And the biggest issue - how the heck are they gonna get outa Dodge
(Seefra system) if slipstream is a really twisted Mobius strip giving
a good ride but going nowhere?
Maybe Evil Trance had something to do with that. Perhaps she was
manipulating the slipstream? Once they defeat her, they may find
themselves able to leave.
I've always assumed it was the Vedrans themselves who did that.
It was established as early as season 1 that Tarn Vedra was cut
off from the slipstream sometime between the ambush at
Hephaestus and the Fall of the Commonwealth. Maybe they set it
up to automatically fix itself when the other Seefras finish
braking Trance's sun and Seefra 1 is reborn as Tarn Vedra again.
Jim Heckman
Beth Smarr
2005-04-17 10:44:43 UTC
Post by Jim Heckman
[...]
Post by Wavemaker
Post by Beth Smarr
And the biggest issue - how the heck are they gonna get outa Dodge
(Seefra system) if slipstream is a really twisted Mobius strip giving
a good ride but going nowhere?
Maybe Evil Trance had something to do with that. Perhaps she was
manipulating the slipstream? Once they defeat her, they may find
themselves able to leave.
I've always assumed it was the Vedrans themselves who did that.
It was established as early as season 1 that Tarn Vedra was cut
off from the slipstream sometime between the ambush at
Hephaestus and the Fall of the Commonwealth. Maybe they set it
up to automatically fix itself when the other Seefras finish
braking Trance's sun and Seefra 1 is reborn as Tarn Vedra again.
Now that is an idea. Slipstream outside the system is prohibited while
sipstream within the system is a loop. No one in, no one out. Except
via the Route of Ages.

Jim Heckman
2005-04-18 05:55:26 UTC
Post by Beth Smarr
Post by Jim Heckman
Post by Wavemaker
Post by Beth Smarr
[...]
Or tesseracting, like how Trance got the Andromeda and its crew
(except Dylan) there in the first place. Also, I think the
androids from the future who tried to recruit Doyle in an
earlier episode this season came from outside the system, and
were also able to leave it via their giant tesseract generator
hidden on an asteroid. (Hmm..., another not-yet-fully-resolved
plot point: Those androids implied that Doyle will somehow give
rise to them.)
Jim Heckman
The Great EZE
They probably didn't mean what you thought they meant by that...
The Saltex Brujo
2005-04-20 02:19:53 UTC
Quantum Treacle Delectable?